The pronouns of the Lord’s prayer

The Lord’s Prayer:

My Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
Give me this day my daily bread,
and forgive me my debts,
    as I also have forgiven my debtors.
And lead me not into temptation,
    but deliver me from evil.

Does this sound familiar? It shouldn’t. All the first person pronouns in the Lord’s Prayer are plural. It is addressed to our Father and asks that God give us daily bread, forgiveness, and deliverance from evil.

So who is included in the word we? According to 1 Corinthians 12: 12-26 all Christians are one body and our personal welfare is linked to that of the whole body. Verse 26 says, “ If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.” When we pray we are asking for God’s blessings not only for ourselves but also for the rest of the body.

This doesn’t mean that we should never ask for something solely for ourselves. For example, look at Peter’s prayer when he walked on water. Matthew 14: 28-31 says, “And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him.”

Peter didn’t pray “Lord, save us.” That would have made no sense because Peter was the only one in danger, but our normal practice should be to pray for others as well as for ourselves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predestination and prayer

Mount Zion, in the far north

An eternal weight of damnation